Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Almost Ready to Go

After a nice long weekend - Monday was "Heritage Day" here in Alberta - I am starting to get excited about the first class beginning next Monday, August 14th. I will have the great pleasure of teaching the PCAAT students Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, a course I've taught about five times and really enjoy.

And it is such an important course, if I do say so myself. Over the summer one gets to visit other congregations and observe different styles of worship, including music, sermon, etc. Without mentioning the name of the church, there was one community of believers I visited twice and I would suggest that the "sermons" were quite lacking in Biblical interpretation and/or exposition. Not that I'm perfect in my preaching/exposition or that I believe a sermon has to have the proverbial "three points and a poem," but some of the messages I've heard in the past few weeks were certainly unique and interesting explanations of the passages/principles. Its one thing to use Scripture as a jumping off point for a sermon/topic - and that's still pretty weak - but these well-meaning servants of God read the Scripture but the topic of their homily really didn't connect at all to the passage allegedly being explored.

I've revised my Prairie instructor web page so if anyone would like to check out the course info, it will be regularly updated in the next few days.

No comments: