Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Initial Reflections on Bill Hybels' new book

I generally enjoy Bill Hybels’ writing (and speaking) and so I must say that I was eager to read Holy Discontent (Zondervan, 2007) when it arrived in the mail about a month ago... from my favorite book seller Amazon. In some ways it is encouraging me in one of the areas I am passionate about: leadership. However, I do have a concern about the general premise of the book (realize that I haven’t finished reading the book yet!).

Hybels’ basic premise is that God develops in each of us a holy discontent with something that becomes our life passion (no problem there). Often times this comes out of frustration or disappointment with a situation we experienced/saw during our formative years and this becomes something that we feel a burning desire to change… so that others never have to experience what we see/experience. Using the words of good ole’ Popeye, we come to a point when “I can’t stands it anymore” and we decide to do something about it. And that’s where I see the problem. If we set our life’s mission/purpose on the basis of what we cannot stand – even if it is an issue/concern that is in line w/ God’s character, values, and principles – I think we are eventually doomed to fail… or at best succeed minimally/temporarily. If our goal is NOT to be someone/something, we are basing our mission on a negative, not a positive. I agree that God does use our negative experiences to shape/influence the purpose(s) He has for our individual lives. But if they are only shaped by negative experiences, that’s a weak foundation, both spiritually and psychologically. That’s how people “go off the deep end” or “burn out” in trying to accomplish an individual or organizational mission.

For example, the child who watched a sibling (or parent) battle a disease for weeks or months before dying and then chooses to go into medical work “to help others” is not a good long-term candidate as a doctor/nurse. (Frankly, they may not have grieved properly!) On the other hand, the child who was sick and in hospital a lot and so decides to become a doctor so s/he can give back to others as s/he has benefited, MAY (though not necessarily) be a more good long-term worker in the health/medical field.

Again, to be blunt, I think I can talk about that one example with a fair bit of credibility… I’ve watched my fair share of medical dramas to know where my personal (unresolved?) “issues” are and how to work through them vicariously through tv… rather than on real-life people!

Last point: Don’t become a leader because the leaders you see/observe are soooo bad at leading. Choose to be a leader because God has developed in you the character to be one and the skills (competencies) to do the job well.

No comments: