Saturday, December 22, 2007

Year of Blessing

I've been working on this posting since Friday morning... yet seem to get interrupted from actually concentrated writing time by more and more blessings! So, this may be two (or more) part posting...

I'm not usually one to "name the year" but I can only say that I very clearly felt the Lord calling me to "wait" in January/February 2006 and thus, I would call last year my "Year of Waiting." This year has certainly been the "Year of Blessing" (though I realize that every moment of every day is a blessing from Almighty God, that seems to be the best term for it). Obviously the most incredible blessing of this year was God bringing Sarah and I together in marriage and the amazing generosity and kindness of family and friends in celebrating our engagement and wedding with us. And the next most amazing gift is our little baby that is already growing and should arrive in mid-March 2008.

I usually get quite reflective at the end of the year, but it started a little earlier than usual this year as our new bedroom furniture was delivered on Thursday afternoon from Leon's. We purchased this furniture partially with wedding gift money and partially as M&D Ibbotson's wedding gift to us. MDI came over to see the furniture - and Dad patiently helped to move the couple of pieces that I misdirected the moving guys on (oops!) - and then they stayed for supper... after admiring how nice it looks! And that again reminded me of the blessing of our parents, who are always so helpful in these physical tasks that I cannot do, and yet both Dad I and Dad Hunt are so gracious and helpful and generous with their time and energy. They love to serve Jesus by serving others and they do it sooo well!

As we prayed together on Thurs night, we reflected on all that God has blessed us with over the past 18 months since we started dating... and I realized I should start a blog about this year. So, when I headed to the office on Friday morning, I began to think about the things to include in the "Year of Blessing" summary - Sarah, baby, family, friends, church family, new job, etc...

Yet before I could even get the computer on at work, I found in my mailbox more of God's gracious gifts... my paycheque in good time for the Christmas break, a Christmas bonus from Prairie Christian Academy Society, and of course all the friendly and supportive people I work with, and the students too! And then, just as I'm ready to put a temporary end to the list of gifts to blog about, our pastor and my dear friend Tim, shares a blessing with me/us too!

And to top it all off, I'm sitting here on a Saturday afternoon trying to help my amazing wife finish up the last of our wedding thank you's and I realize again all these people that gave so generously to us, not just in gifts, but esp for some of the people like "Uncle Ray & Auntie Anna" and "Uncle Rex & Auntie Dot" (and their families) who have known the Ibbotson family from our days in South Africa (and even before) and prayed for MDI and their "sick baby" many years ago... and now they are part of the crowd that is cheering us on, praying for us still, and so thrilled for us.

So... I close off with words from the Matt Redman song, "Blessed Be Your Name." There were many times over the past few years when I could sing and feel the "when the darkness closes in" or "I'm found in the dessert place" for various reasons. And I trust that I was praising Him nonetheless. Yet in this year when "the sun has been shining down on me/us" and "the land is plentiful" and "the world's all as it should be", I/we want to be sure that we realize it is not MY/OUR doing. It is all GOD'S grace and work. "Every blessing you pour out, we'll turn back to praise... Blessed be Your Name."

No comments: