Saturday, January 05, 2008

Eight is Great!

January 5 is always a day I am used to celebrating a great woman in my life... you see January 5 is my mother's birthday (and actually my maternal grandmother's birthday also). However, this January 5 I celebrate Eight Great months of being married to the most amazing and beautiful woman in the world!

They say that "behind every great man is a great woman." I have two comments on this quote. First, I can think of many wonderful women who have had a significant influence on my life, including my mother and my wife, as well as my mother-in-law, Dr Char Bates, and a few others. Secondly, what is the woman doing behind the man? If, as the quote implies, the woman is the reason for the man's success (another interesting question), then why is she not beside the man! So as of today, I'm modifying this quote: Beside every great man is (at least) a great woman! Better yet, "Around every great man are great women!"

On another topic, I've been working through Oren Harari's book The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell - which I purchased through Amazon.ca a few months ago. Though I don't know much about the US military dynamics or politics, I've admired Colin Powell. It is a very challenging book and leads me to appreciate Powell's character and accomplishments more.

No comments: