Monday, May 05, 2008

Beyond All One could ask or imagine

I'm sure I've mentioned this Scripture verse a couple times, but it is must be mentioned again today. Ephesians 3:20-21 says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

As Sarah and I celebrate our one year wedding anniversary today, this verse summarizes my/our life so perfectly. First, all glory goes to God! He is the one that has done incredible and amazing things for us, in us, and (we trust) through us. Second, this past year has been "immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine." From our wedding day where God seemed to oversee every detail and made the day go so smoothly, to the overwhelmingly generous outpouring of wedding gifts, to our trip to India, and then the blessing of being able to get pregnant so quickly, and to have our precious little boy Caleb arrive on March 8, and now again to continue to be showered with gifts and so many expressions of kindness and love with our son... Thirdly, it is clearly HIS power that is at work in our lives, in our marriage, in our family, and in our activities/work.

Yesterday, our dear friend Pastor Tim continued the series on "God, Money and You" and the message was "How Much is Enough?" Along with being another excellent message, our friend Peter Mal and the music team led in some great songs that tied in with the message. The Chris Tomlin song, "Enough," is one I sang many times over the past five years, sometimes hoping it would be true in my life, even though I didn't feel like it was... thinking, Lord, I so much want a wife and yet I want You to be more than enough. And now to be on the "other side" of the fence, not longing particularly for someone or something, but realizing how incredibly God has blessed me, not just with an amazing wife but also with a healthy, growing, handsome son, I hope that Christ is still the One I look to as "enough." Another song was "I'd Rather Have Jesus than anything..." and I hope that is/will be true of my life, not just in the cumulative/retrospective sense but in the daily living of being a man, husband, father, employee, church elder, friend, etc.

Oh yeah, and how does this apply to leadership? I believe it was Max DePree who said, the last job of a leader is to say "Thank You." And so as I reflect on one year of marriage to the MBWA (most beautiful woman around), I can only say thank you to God for his incredible grace to me.

One last thought: Caleb has a busy week since it is Mom & Dad Anniversary today, then on Thursday he turns two months old, and then on Sunday it is Mother's Day... and he wants to make sure to get something really special for the most amazing mommy in the world! Any ideas?

No comments: