Friday, October 17, 2008

Miscellaneous thoughts

Just some miscellaneous thoughts to blog about on a Friday...
1) I can't wait til our dear boy, Caleb, sleeps through the night! He is a precious little fella and always so smiley... and yet I wonder how much longer Sarah and I can continue with no more than 3-4 hours stretches of sleep at a time. I thank the Lord (but not enough) for my amazing wife!

2) I'm glad for the election results here in Canada... though as I suspected, it didn't actually accomplish much. The Conservative party still has a minority government - though they have a few more seats - and the Liberal party has proof that not too many people are willing to follow their leader. The Green party... for all their hullabaloo... got about the same percent of the popular vote (almost 7% this time) and yet still did not win one seat in parliament. And the Bloc Quebecois and NDP will continually battle for third place... though admittedly Jack Layton does have a bit of "pizzazz" to him, though he's not particularly astute.

3) Major League Baseball must be trying to hide their disappointment that the World Series is not Boston vs LA Dodgers - that would have been a boon for the tv ratings with two "big market" teams... as well as the fun of watching Man-Ram try to beat his old teammates while still being paid however-many-million-dollars by the Red Sox. Tampa Bay vs Philadelphia should be a decent series but it sure doesn't have the glamour of LA-Boston. Gotta appreciate the manager of Tampa Bay who seems so mellow and patient and "grandfatherly" with such a young group of players, who until this year were pathetic on the field. And I was glad to see Canadian Matt Stairs hit the big pinch hit two-run homer in game 3 to give the Phillies the victory... after he was the odd man out late in the year in the BlueJays scheme.

OOPS... perhaps I blogged too soon. When I went to bed last night it was 7-0 Tampa Bay in the seventh inning so I just presumed they finished off the Red Sox. I just checked MLB.com and realized that Boston pulled off one of the great comebacks in post-season history, winning 8-7 with a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning. So... if TBay wins one of the next two games...

No comments: