Monday, April 13, 2009

NHL Playoff Predictions

Its perhaps the greatest time of year for the sports fan - the NHL Playoffs are starting, NBA playoffs are near, and MLB has just started (and the Toronto Blue Jays had a great first week!)

Here are my predictions for the first round of the NHL playoffs.

Eastern Conference: I think Carey Price is going to outduel Tim Thomas and the Canadians are going to steal the series in seven exciting games. However, if Price is not superbly-outstanding, this also could be a short-painful series for the Habs. Washington will probably take out the Rangers in five games, and New Jersey will likely dispose of the Carolina Hurricanes equally quickly (NJ in 5). The Battle of Pennsylvania should be very interesting, and will likely go the distance and I'll pick the Penguins in 7.

Western Conference: San Jose will take care of Anaheim in five games... though the Ducks may put up a mighty fight, perhaps sending a few games into overtime(s), even extending the series to seven games. But I don't think San Jose will be denied this year... or at least til the conference final! Columbus is in the playoffs for the first time in franchise history and they are an exciting young team and they have been the hottest team in the league for the past 2-3 months... but I don't think they will knock off the defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings... though I would love to see it! I'll pick the Red Wings in 7. As good as the Blue Jackets have been, the St Louis Blues have been great in the last month, not only to earn a playoff spot, but to get the 6th seed. Unfortunately, they run into Roberto Luongo and the rejuvenated Canuckleheads. Look for the Canucks to win this series in five games (though it may go the full seven). And last but not least, the hardest series for me to pick... my heart says to go with my Calgary in six, but my head says that Chicago will eliminate my dear Flames in seven agonizing games.

Summary: MTL over Boston in 7; Wash over NYR in 5; NJ over Carolina in 5; Pitts over Philly in 7; SJ over Anaheim in 5; Det over CBJ in 7; Vanc over STL in 6; Chicago over Calgary in 7.

In the end, I see NJ (over Pittsburgh) coming out of the Eastern Conference and San Jose (over Vancouver) in the West. Can't say the idea of a New Jersey vs San Jose Stanley Cup is particularly exciting though I think there are some great players on both teams, esp Joe Thornton.

No comments: