Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back from Vacation 2

We have returned from our extended vacation and I am glad to be back in the office at PCA and am eager for a new school year to get started. We left on Sunday, August 2 and started our holiday time in Vernon, BC visiting with Grandma & Grandpa Friebel.

After two days in Vernon, we headed south to Rock Ridge Canyon just outside Princeton, BC where we were privileged to be adult guests for a week and enjoyed seeing what happens at a YoungLife camp. My brother, Tim, brought a group of students and leaders from Whiterock and there were other high school age teens from Cloverdale and Dawson Creek, BC, as well as Calgary, Edmonton, and Grande Prairie, AB. We were served lots of very tasty food and enjoyed the lake as well as sitting in on "club" each night. We were privilege to stay in the recently completed Wolfe Creek Lodge, a beautiful three story building.

During vacation, both Sarah and I got some time to read. One of the books I am reading through is Gordon T. Smith's, The Voice of Jesus (InterVarsity, 2003). Although I have not completed the book, it is very well written and I appreciate Smith's careful and precise use of the English language on this topic. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a thorough, articulate discussion of Christian discernment.
I am also working on reading and reviewing Everyday Greatness (ThomasNelson, 2006), a compilation (by David K. Hatch) of 63 Readers' Digest stories on 21 key topics with "insights and commentary by Stephen R. Covey." Finally, I also read through most of the YoungLife Canada "history" - a book that was really a compilation of individual memoirs, not as much historical reflection as I might have hoped.

No comments: