Friday, June 29, 2012

Choosing to be an "absent" dad

Today is the first time I have wanted to be an emotionally absent dad. It has been a long week that began with preaching on Sunday (at Eagle Hill Community Church), was filled awards ceremonies at school, graduation banquet & ceremony, and a few responsibilities as current chair of the church's elders. Many of these things were in the evening, so I did not see Sarah and the children as usual, and some of these activities also drew upon the social & emotional energy, not just needing physically presence. After having lunch together with the PCA staff and wrapping up the school year, I would like to go home tonight as Canada Day weekend starts, and relax on the couch and just kick back and watch the CFL doubleheader on TSN... and not be interrupted by Caleb, Rachel or Anna.

However, they feel the same way. Dad's been busy all week with other "meetings" and he got home "too late" most nights. But now dad's finally home! They will be so glad I'm home for the evening and want to tell me all about their day and just hang out and play cars or dollies or... I think its the first time I've realized how easy it could be to be physically present but emotionally absent. As a dad, I have to make a conscious choice today to be in/with my children's lives. I want to be, but its not the easy path or even the first-choice desire, right now. But I know it is right and will be the wise choice for the long-term health of both my children, my wife, and myself. Thank You, Lord, for giving me strength!

No comments: