Monday, January 22, 2007

Miscellaneous stuff from the weekend

Just some miscellaneous things from my life this weekend to blog about...

1) My fantastic fiance, Sarah, was away with a few of her girlfriends on Friday evening and Saturday and so I had a bit more time by myself on Saturday. And though I missed her lots and was glad to see her again on Saturday evening (Flames beat the Oilers 4-0!), it was also good to have some time to read, rest, do a bit of grading and then do a fair bit of "nothing" and just veg. I strongly believe that as a leader, you need those kinda days once in a while - and not feel guilty for them!

2) I'm glad to see the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts will be meeting in the Super Bowl. Not only will it be a great matchup of defence vs offense, but lots of great leaders on both teams, including Peyton Manning, Brian Urlacher and of course, two African-American coaches, both good friends, Tony Dunge & Lovie Smith.

3) Leaders pray to know God's will - and my experience in the past couple weeks reminds me that we should be careful what we pray for! God may just answer! Mostly thinking of the recent situation in the PTC where we called someone to come and serve as our Pastor of Student & Family Ministries and after initially accepting the call, they let us know this week that they will need to decline the position. And though I'm disappointed, as is most of the church, it was also very clear to them (and to me as I read through their letter) that God was closing the door and saying "no" to this ministry for them at this time. Of course it would be terrible for them and for the congregation if God said "no" and we pushed on anyway and said "yes." So thank you, God, for answering prayer, even if we don't like the answer!

No comments: