Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Budgets, Finances and Christian Leadership

Last night I led the "Finance Information meeting" for our congregation and today I started to work on the Church and Ministry dept budget here at Prairie Bible College. And so finances, budget and those sorts of topics are flying in my brain this week. And most interestingly, the LORD allowed me to hear Tony Campolo speak twice over the weekend at BreakfForth 2007 in Edmonton and he spoke about living simply - or to use the phrase I've grown up with here at PBI as a staff kid and staff member, "the simple lifestyle."

And as Dr Campolo more than adequately pointed out, most of North America, and I would include Three Hills/PBI in that too, do NOT live simply. We live Extravagantly!!! So here's a few of my thoughts so far out of the last 5 days related to Christians, Leadership and Money.

1) There are times when it is okay to be extravagant and celebrate. For example, my fiance and I are NOT going to go cheap on our wedding or the honeymoon. This is a once in a lifetime event and its worth celebrating because God says that marriage is good. Nonetheless, we are both committed to making sure that the wedding ceremony does not get more attention than the marriage, and that neither the wedding ceremony nor the honeymoon costs more than either of our annual salaries! I've seen "nice" Christian families who throw their daughter a ludicrously expensive wedding - and I can't stand it!!!

2) Christian ministries should err on the side of generosity. Far too many Christian organizations are known for their cheap-ness and stinginess with money. Whether it relates to a staff member's salary, the benefits an organization offers, or giving gifts or honorarium, those who work for the Lord will already be making a sacrifice - I don't have to make it "more sacrificial" for them. By the same token, as a faculty member at a Bible college, I do NOT expect to make what a prof at the Univ of Calgary or Univ of Alberta earns - and I'm okay with that. Christian organizations can't compete - and shouldn't try. But they don't have to be so tight they squeak (to use the words of my too generous brother, Tim).

3) Christians should "make it easy" for the Christian organizations they work for to be generous by not "demanding" corporate standards. Yes, if a business person goes away to a conference, s/he probably will get a room to themself and not have to share it with a colleague. But a Christian worker doesn't have to "claim" this "right" but can save the ministry some money by splitting a room w/ a colleague. You shouldn't have to eat your meals at McDonalds (though I personally love to do so anyway!) but you shouldn't go for steak and lobster either.

Summary comment: My life experience bears witness to the truth laid out in Scripture that when we as Christians are generous with what God gives us, He is more than faithful to take care of our financial needs (and wants) beyond what we can ask or imagine.

No comments: