Friday, August 29, 2008

A tough decision

I am glad I am not an American and do not have to vote in November's election because it would be a very difficult choice. You see I watched Barack Obama's acceptance of the Democratic nomination last night and I think he is the better choice as Prez as compared to John McCain, the Republican nominee. Yet on issues of "faith and morality" I hold closer personally to John McCain's choices... but I think he/his party has pathetic, if any, answers to most of the issues concerning America today. Overall I think Obama would be a better leader for the nation... and exhibits many traits a good leader needs.

So here's why I liked Obama's speech and would vote for him...
1) Even though he disagrees, he did not rip John McCain's character or patriotism... he demonstrated what he would later talk about in terms of solving issues regardless of political lines. In fact, he even acknowledged it as something to be appreciated and respected.
2) He took on the issues head-on and/or dealt with them realistically - whether talking about the concerns about him (eg. too young, no experience, esp in foreign policy) or the challenges of the current economy, Obama was very specific and very issue oriented in dealing with the concerns.
3) He picked someone different than himself to be VP - Joe Biden is a wise choice as VP, I think, in that he is older, experienced, and yet still a democrat who will support Obama's enthusiasm and "do things different mindset" even within the framework of Washington and the political bureaucracy.
4) He didn't say that government would fix all the problems... but that the people had a responsibility to make changes themselves. He didn't say, though you could read between the lines, its not the govt's job to stop every person from maxing out their credit cards, and mortgages, and etc, etc. That's the responsibility of an individual/family to make wise choices.
5) His story is good... flat out good!!! Again he is a living example of the "promise" he is talking about.
6) I actually believe he loves his wife and two daughters.

Rick Warren had a forum at Saddleback Community Church last week for the two candidates which from what I've heard reported was very well done - civil yet asking the real tough questions. The next day (Sunday August 21) he preached a sermon on what three qualities to look for in a leader... being very careful not to say he endorsed either candidate. Again, very wise! The three items Warren identified were integrity, humility, and generosity. And the last reason (at least at this posting) why I would probably vote for Barack Obama is

7) He demonstrates integrity, humility and generosity. I don't like that he is not opposed to same-sex marriage, but I do like that he admits such and I think his words last night about treating all people with respect was something many evangelicals need to hear. Ditto for the abortion issue. The other two qualities, humility and generosity also came out very clearly in his life story and speech.

ADDENDUM OF September 2 - First again let me emphasize that I canNOT vote in the upcoming election as I am a "proud" Canadian citizen... and I am very glad to not be able to
vote in November because it would be a VERY difficult choice. The posting above is not meant to be an endorsement of Barack Obama... though I can certainly understand if it is/has been taken that way. My regrets!

Additionally, I do plan to post at the end of this week on the Republican National Convention and my perspectives on John McCain and his new VP choice, Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

Finally, yes I have read the reports that McCain answered Rick Warren's questions well and honestly while Obama was "evasive" and beat-around-the-bush (bad puns ready, anyone?) on a variety of questions. This is NOT integrity... and I think he was more direct in his acceptance of the Democratic party's nomination in Denver partially in light of that critique.

No comments: