Monday, June 07, 2010

Remembering the Fear, Thankful for great medical personnel

I went to the Three Hills Health Care Unit today for some regular bloodwork. Just ahead of me in the line was a mom with her young son, I would guess about 4-5 years old. I was reading a book when the lab technician called him in and fairly quickly I could hear him beginning to cry. Suddenly a rush of memories and emotions flooded my heart, mind and tear ducts as I remembered the many times I had to get poked and prodded by medical personnel. After just a few seconds his mom and the ladies taking the blood were able to relax him and soon it was all over. Yet I "felt" the fear again, not just of the pain of the needle but of the unknown and how much it could/would hurt. Yet I'm also grateful that these people did their job kindly yet carefully and properly to help me "get better." A few minutes later it was my turn and I got my bloodwork done, and remembered as had been drilled into me by my mom, "Always say thank you to the nurses & doctors for taking care of you."

In leadership, sometimes one must battle fear and recognize there's going to be pain before things get better. Yet when healing takes place, you'd never want to go back to the place you were in before the pain. And always say "thank you" to those who help you get through the pain to a position of health.

No comments: