Friday, March 25, 2011

Leadership in a facebook, youtube, txt world

Our Friday afternoon Bible class had a few people absent and so the few students that were present shared some of their favorite youtube videos. After doing so and chatting about the different videos - mainly the students informing me how they found them and why they find them interesting, we had some discussion of how the world they live in (and don't know otherwise) of facebook, youtube and texting will impact their worldview. If someone doesn't answer a txt message or respond to a facebook post within two days, you wonder if they died... or at least if their phone and computer have crashed. Then how does this relate to the concept in the Bible of "wait on the Lord." Baby Boomers and even moreso Generation X were accused of being a "microwave generation" who expected everything instantaneously, yet how will the post-millenials view God, time, concepts like patience, waiting on God?

A few weeks ago, I blogged about Leadership and Momentum. Likewise, what will leadership look like in a facebook, youtube and txt saturated world? Will concepts like "sober second thought" or "due diligence" or "processing time" in regards to a decision become obsolete? Will the expected urgency of a response result in organizations responded well to inquiries or will it result in companies replying one way and then 48 hours later changing their decision (and then potentially 48 hours later responding yet another way)?

I welcome your perspective.

1 comment:

author said...

I don't know if I can extrapolate much on what you said, but I know I definitely face struggles in this area. The concept of waiting upon the Lord is difficult for me. The act of being still before Him is nearly impossible. I tried it once, for about fifteen minutes, and daydreamed just as much as I would on the average car ride.

But more difficult than that is trying to grasp the concept that God might not answer my questions right away. He may just tell me to wait, and He will reveal it to me later. So many of my struggles arise from not feeling like God has answered my questions.

So I don't know if I am part of the post-millennial generation. Aren't they the 8-year olds or something right now? Either way, one thing is going to be very important in their life training, and that is an emphasis on patience. No longer will it be something they learn naturally. Now it will be something they struggle to understand.

That is my educated guess, at least.