Monday, July 04, 2011

Are they enjoying themselves?

As my wife and I have been watching the news the past three nights and seeing the reports on Prince William and Kate's travel around Canada, she has commented a few times, "I hope they are enjoying themselves?" Whether it was the day 1 update on how each of the three outfits worn by Kate were made by Canadian designers or yesterday's updates on how they made out pretty well public relations wise in Quebec, despite the protests, I'm glad my wife has a thoughtfulness and compassion that many, including myself, probably don't really have for this royal couple.

I'm of the perspective that Kate knew what she was marrying into - or at least as much as anyone can know until you really live it - and so "c'est la vie," this is the life you chose. Kate knew she was going to always been in the spotlight the minute she started dating Prince William. In a sense, she had to weigh the "can I live in the constant spotlight?" question against the "do I want to be Prince William's wife?" (or do I love Will that much?) Admittedly, there are a multiple of lifelong benefits for such perpetual privacy invasions - global travel, gifts galore, lavish banquets with the political elite (and eventually other "stars), constant 5-star hotels and vacations, etc.

However, you might suspect that one Diana Spencer wondered these very same thoughts 25+ years ago and felt she could handle these pressures too! And you can bet her eldest son has these questions weighing in his young mind as he tries to live up to the expectations of being the prince while also being a newly married man, trying to understand what it means to care for his wife. That's some load to carry for a leader!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I think that Wills has done a better job of protecting his wife than his father did protecting his mother. I admire him for sweeping her off to an unknown location for their honeymoon, and for having no problem telling the press when they've asked questions they don't want to answer.

I have high hopes for this royal couple :) Praying he's learned something from the way his parents' relationship (and the relationships of so many royals and almost-royals around him) went, and that he'll always be conscientious of his wife in this.

The Sidekick said...

Steve, early this morning I was asking myself that very same question Sarah asked as I was presented with yet another picture of Catherine dimpling over at William. I HOPE she knew what she was getting into - she does have almost ten years on Diana in terms of life experience; and William said at the engagement announcement that the delay was he wanted to make sure she knew what she was in for. But your post has made me ponder the thought of the rich man and the eye of the needle: despite all the perks, William might well have a more difficult time caring for his wife than one of the smartest professors I know living in Three Hills with his lovely wife and two adorable children ...