Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Humble Godly Servants

God has blessed my life with many humble, godly servants, and some of them do work out-of-the-spotlight that never will be noticed and that's the way they like it! Yesterday, I was reminded of this again and so I wanted to blog about it today.

Friday afternoon, my power wheelchair stopped working... again. I was coming home from the office with Sarah and the children and after going through the field, it suddenly would not turn left or go forward. If you wanted to spin in circles, fine. Otherwise, no go! This problem happened a few months ago (6-8-10 months ago, I cannot remember specifically) and without my wheelchair my mobility is limited and organizing my day becomes problematic, to say the least.

So, when it happened a while ago, I got another power wheelchair to borrow waiting for a new one to be provided by Easter Seals. One of these godly servants saw me using this other wheelchair and inquired about the status of my "old wheelchair." I said it was essentially dead and I was looking to acquire a new one. He asked if he could use it for parts, perhaps to build a go-cart for his grandchildren. I said yes and within a couple days, he came by and took it to his shop to tinker with.

Lo-and-behold, a couple days later I get a call saying "Its ready to go. Come by and pick it up." What? I didn't even know it could be fixed. And I hadn't asked for that. He told me what the problem was and that he just did such-and-such and it seems good to go. It was... and it has worked very well for a number of months. Needless to say, when the same problem arose Friday, I knew who to call.

No, I don't expect Joe to work miracles and keep this power wheelchair that I have been (ab)using for 16 years going forever. So I did call and check on the status of my "new wheelchair order" and received a call back on Tuesday morning to say they are ready to order it and the funding is in place. Thank God! However, before I had even reported that to my wife Tuesday afternoon, she mentioned "Oh yeah, Joe's wife called and we can go over anytime to pick up your wheelchair." Sure enough, Joe had again fixed it and after describing to me what the problem was, sent me speeding down the sidewalk again. Of course, any offer of payment for his work and time was graciously rebuffed and a sincere but embarassed "thank you" was all I could provide.

So to Joe Mudde and Art Krahn and my dad, John Ibbotson, and my father-in-law, Marlowe Hunt, Thank You so much for all you do for me and many others in humble service to God, knowing that He will repay you in eternity!

1 comment:

Krista said...

Very cool! Love this post and so glad your chair got fixed!